Information & guidance

COVID-19 Support & Guidance Page

Healthwatch CWL is following the latest information from Public Health England. You can also read the government response and the NHS response to the outbreak, along with the latest developments from the World Health Organisation

From July 4th, there will be significant changes to the government advice in terms of what the public can and can't do during the outbreak. Click here for more information, this includes changes for those who are shielding in England will change, click here for more details.

For the latest information on what you can and can't do, read this government FAQs page.

If you feel you have coronavirus symptoms please click here for information on Test & Trace. For full government guidance, please click here.

Contact list

You can view and download our practical and specific contact list here

Your experiences

Can I access the key guidance in another language?

What should I do if I have an underlying health condition?

I'm homeless (or am worried for someone who is) - what should I do?

  • Housing Justice has issued specialised advice to homeless shelters.
  • Glass Door do excellent work supporting London's homeless. Click here to see how you can help by donating specific items that are in short supply
  • Pathway and Crisis have called on the government for guidance on how best to protect homeless people against coronavirus.
  • Groundswell have produced a package of resources to support people experiencing homelessness, including guidance for people living in hostels or temporary accommodation (with translated advice).
  • Streetlink exists to help rough sleepers in London get connected with local services that can help them

I have a mental health condition - what support can I get?

I'm worried about someone over 70 - what advice and support is there?

  • Age UK have this practical advice for helping older people. You can also find information on befriending services, a free advice line, local services, information on home care and day centres and more on this services webpage
  • You can find assistance for the vulnerable person from an 'NHS Responder' on this website
  • Please refer to the 'Local Authority' and 'Local Support' sections below for key support and information

I'm a carer and I really need help - what can I do?

  • Carers UK has produced recommendations for carers.
  • Age UK have this help page for carers looking after a loved one
  • Carers Network are here to help with carer assessments, reviews, advice and information
  • Rethink Mental Health have produced this guide for carers looking after someone with a severe mental illness
  • Bi-borough Adult Social Care (Westminster & Kensington & Chelsea) has created a FAQ sheet to offer support you and the person people you care for, with advice on direct payments, personal protective equipment (PPE), minimising risk and various practicalities

I'm worried about a loved one in a care home - what help can you offer?

  • Here is the action plan from the government for adult social care, published on 15th April.
  • Healthwatch Central West London has produced this comprehensive support page that we hope can answer a lot of your questions

I'm young and afraid - what support is there for me?

I'm a parent worried about my child - can you help?

Where can I go to volunteer?

  • Volunteer Centre Kensington & Chelsea are looking for volunteers to support their work in the borough
  • Westminster Connects has also been created to connect volunteers with those in need of help during the COVID-19 outbreak. Residents and organisations can also contact the Westminster Connects team by emailing westminsterconnects@
    or via their website, or call on 020 7641 1222, available from 8am to 10pm seven days a week
  • You can register yourself as an NHS responder on this Royal Voluntary Service webpage
  • Covid Mutual Aid UK is a group of volunteers supporting local community groups organising mutual aid throughout the COVID-19 outbreak. They focus on providing resources and connecting people to their nearest local groups, willing volunteers and those in need.
  • The number of groups is growing everyday so to access a local group click on this link, enter your postcode (just above the map) and your local options will be generated
  • You can sign up to volunteer with the NHS here

How can I volunteer safely?

  • The government has put together this advice for how to help people in your community safely

I'm pregnant - what should I do?

Where is my local foodbank?

  • Trussell Trust can help you find emergency food, donate money to a local service and donate food
  • You will find more local information by accessing the council pages in the 'Local Authority' section of this page
  • KCSC have released this helpful list of foodbanks that are still accepting donations in Kensington and Chelsea

I'm worried about abuse in the home - what should I do?

  • The National Domestic Abuse Helpline are here to help and have this 24 hour helpline: 0800 2000 247
  • You can access Rape Crisis Services here
  • Galop is the UK's only specialist LGBT+ anti-violence charity. They have national and London-based helplines.
  • Women’s Aid have various support options, including live chat, email, the Survivors Forum and information on local services
  • Men’s Advice Line is a confidential helpline. There is also email and a webchat service for male victims of domestic abuse
  • Respect Phoneline is a confidential helpline, email and webchat service for domestic abuse perpetrators and those supporting them
  • If you are worried about a child, there is help available. Westminster City Council have produced this guidance (with phone numbers)

What should I do if I feel scared and anxious?

Can I go to my GP?

  • GP are still operating and looking after patients, but please ensure you call ahead instead of going directly to your practice.
  • In this video, a GP explains how practices - and other primary care services - are working at the moment

Can I still go to the dentist?

What are local healthcare providers saying?

  • West London CCG have announced the temporary suspension of the St Charles Urgent Care Centre service from Tuesday 14th April - click here for full details. A 'hot clinic' has been set up in its place to help patients who have - or who are suspected to have - COVID-19 as well as additional health conditions that require medical treatment. Furthermore, Pembridge hospice will temporarily re-designate inpatient beds for those with COVID-19 - more details can be found here. If you have questions on these service changes, contact the CCG on
  • Imperial College Healthcare Trust – Here is the latest information on their website
    *This includes Charing Cross Hospital, Hammersmith Hospital, St Mary’s Hospital, Queen Charlotte’s & Chelsea Hospital and Western Eye Hospital
  • Royal Brompton & Harefield Foundation Trust – Here is the latest information on their website
  • The Royal Marsden Foundation Trust – Here is the latest information on their website
  • North West London Collaboration of CCGs (NWLCCGs) – Here is the latest advice on their website
  • NWLCCGs have announced a single point of contact for ALL safeguarding issues. Call: 020 3350 4033 or email Phonelines are open Monday - Sunday 8am-8pm. 

What is happening with Grenfell?

Local Support

  • A wellbeing support service (phone appointments) are available in Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster for BME residents - click here for more information
  • The RBKC Covid-19 Hub offers dedicated and targeted support to vulnerable people in the borough - get in touch here or call 020 7361 4326
  • Join Hammersmith and Fulham’s Community Aid Network which is coordinating volunteers in the borough

Local Authority

Useful Extras

Contact us

You can reach out to us in a range of ways:

Call us on 020 8968 7049 or email us on

Twitter: @HealthwatchCWL Facebook: HWCWL Instagram: @healthwatchcwl / @yhwwestminster

Our Local Healthwatch partners

There are several other Local Healthwatch organisations across Central and West London, so if you live in one of the areas below, we encourage you to reach out to your local Healthwatch:

Healthwatch Hammersmith & Fulham

Healthwatch Brent

Healthwatch Hillingdon

Healthwatch Ealing

Healthwatch Harrow

Healthwatch Hounslow