Accessing health services

 This section is to help you find existing services in Westminster and Kensington & Chelsea and learn about new ones becoming available. 


Medical help if you have COVID-19: 

NHS Coronavirus help advice 

Kensington & Chelsea COVID-19 Hub offers dedicated and targeted support to vulnerable people in the borough, click here to access the website or call 020 7361 4326or email:   

Westminster Council provide COVID-19 information and support on their website, click here 


Out of hours services: 

NHS 111: If you need to see a GP, or a nurse when your practice is closed, please dial 111. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, calls are free from landline and mobile phones. 

London Central & West Unscheduled Care Collaborative: Out of hospital care. Call 020 8969 7777 from 18.30 – 08.00 on weekdays and throughout weekends and public holidays 

If you need to see a dentist out of hours: 

  • call your dentist: their voicemail may advise where to get out-of-hours treatment 
  • call NHS 111 to find an out-of-hours dental service near you 
  • Do not contact a GP, as they will not be able to offer emergency or out-of-hours dental care. 
  • Go to the A&E in serious circumstances such as severe pain, heavy bleeding or injuries to face, mouth and teeth  

Finding a GP  

Finding a dentist  

Finding a pharmacy  


Finding a Hospital: 

Imperial Hospital Healthcare NHS trust 

  • St Mary’s Hospital: 020 3312 6666 (general inquiries) 
  • Charring Cross Hospital: 020 3311 1234 (general inquiries)
  • Hammersmith Hospital: 020 3313 1000 (general inquiries) 
  • Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea Hospital: 020 3313 1111 (general inquiries) 
  • Western Eye Hospital: 020 3312 6666 (general inquiries) 

Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS foundation trust: 

  • Chelsea and Westminster Hospital: 020 3315 6666 

Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospital NHS Foundation trust:  

  • Royal Brompton Hospital: 020 7352 8121 (general inquiries) 


Urgent Health Care and Walk-in services: 


How to complain to the NHS: 

Click this link to find out more information on how to complain to NHS.  


Other complaint services: 

  • Patient Advice and liaison Service (PALS)Located in most hospitals, you can speak to PALS member, who'll try to help you resolve issues informally with the hospital before you need to make a complaint. 
  • Find your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG): Contact your local clinical commissioning group (CCG) for complaints about secondary care, such as hospital care, mental health services, out-of-hours services, NHS 111 and community services like district nursing, for example. Every CCG will have its own complaints procedure, which is often displayed on its website.
  • Care Quality Commission (CQC): If you wish to make a complaint about a mental health service, you should either contact the service provider or the local CCG. But if you wish to complain about the use of the Mental Health Act on someone detained in hospital or put on a guardianship or under a community treatment order, complain to the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
  • POhWERIf you'd like support, you can always contact your local NHS Complaints Advocacy service. 


Support for people with specific health conditions:  

  • Age UK: – For older people above 50+, their families, friends and carers: You can book free Covid-19 transportation for your vaccination if you are 50+, email or call on: 07497188 221 (line open Monday – Friday, 10am – 5pm)
  • Westminster - 020 3004 5610 
  • Kensington and Chelsea - 020 8969 9105
  • Carers UK – If you are a paid or unpaid carer, get help and advice on financial support, practical support, work & career advice and much more. Helpline: 0808 808 7777 (Monday to Friday, 9am- 6pm) or email:
  • Family action provides practical, emotional and financial support to those who experiencing poverty, disadvantage and social isolation across the country. Helpline: 0808 802 6666 (Monday – Friday, 9am to 9pm), text: 07537404282 or email
  • Mencap provides support which ranges from round-the-clock care to helping someone join in with local leisure activities, providing advice and information on things like employment and education, helping someone to live independently for the first time. Helpline: 0808 808 1111 (Monday to Friday, 10am – 3pm) helpline temporary closed
  • RBKC Leaning disability community team offers assessments and packages of care and support plans to enable an individual (18 years upwards) who has been assessed as having a learning disability to live as independently as possible. Line: 020 7313 6880 (Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm) 
  • Westminster Learning Disability Partnership support young people in transition from childhood into adulthood who are perhaps moving from children and family services to adult social care services. Contact: 020 7641 7411 or email:
  • The Westminster Society/ Learning Disability Network for London aims to provide quality services and create new opportunities for people with learning disabilities and their families. This network provides a range of group sessions and support for both adults and young people with learning disabilities. Contact: 020 8968 7376 or 07985 353 591 or E-mail:
  • Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability is a charity, independent from the NHS but working closely with it, to provide the best possible care for people living with acquired or traumatic brain injury, neuro-disability or long-term neurological condition. Contact: 020 8780 4500 or email:
  • British Heart Foundation  provides support and advice regarding heart or circulatory conditions, tests or treatments through our helpline: 0300 330 3311 (Monday – Friday 9am - 5pm) or email:  
  • Sparks Children’s Medical Research Charity are dedicated to helping children with rare and complex conditions. Life-saving child health research across the UK are funded by Spark’sFor more information regarding rare conditions contact:0207 091 7750 or 
  • MS-UK society provides support to those living with Multiple sclerosis (MS) to access the information and support they need to have independence, choice and control. Whether you are awaiting for a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis or have been living with the condition for years, MS is here to support you. Helpline: 0800 783 0518, email or visit this link to access a live web chat. 
  • The Alzheimer’s Society supports people living with dementia today by providing advice on daily living, help with care, staying independent and provide legal & financial advice. Helpline: 0333 150 3456
  • Terrence Higgins Trust provide information and advice about HIV and AIDS, including information on what local services are available, such as counselling, group support and practical assistance. Helpline: 0808 802 1221 (Monday to Friday 10am – 6pm, weekend 10am – 1pm) or email:
  • The British Liver Trust offers information leaflets and a helpline and hosts a chatroom. Our aim is to reach out to as many people as possible by providing information and support and lobbying for the services that people with liver disease need. Helpline: 0800 652 7330 (Monday to Friday 10am and 3pm or email
  • The Motor Neurone Disease (MND) Association works to help people with MND, secure the care and support they need, while promoting research into causes, treatments and a cure. We provide a helpline and information about MND, local support groups and what services are available from the Association and other organisations. Helpline: 0808 802 6262 or email:
  • The Stroke Association provides support to Stroke patients and their families directly through rehabilitation and support services, including communication support, family and farer support, information services and welfare grants. Stroke Helpline: 0303 3033 100 or email / Supporter care:  0300 3300 740 or email: 


Local support in your borough: 

BAME Communities: 

  • The Abbey Centre: A wellbeing support service are available in Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster for BAME residents 


Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Health and Social care: 

 Public Health: 

 Adult Social Care: 

 Children and Families: 

 Community and local care: 

  • The Curve - Access support for emotional wellbeing, housing and health concerns and employment opportunities through the Curve - your community centre located in North Kensington. The Curve hosts courses, sessions and community-led activities 


Westminster Health and Social Care: 

 Public Health: 

 Adult Social Care: 

  • People First – supporting independent living and health in RBKC, Westminster and Hammersmith & Fulham 

 Children and Families: 

 Community and Local Care 

  • One Westminster – Westminster Community network, the voice of the voluntary sector in Westminster, working to build relationships, share ideas and influence strategic decision-making in the borough 


The latest advice in your area: 

A nationwide lockdown is currently in place. 


We can all play our part by: 

  • Following the Government's stay at home instructions
  • Getting tested and isolate if you have symptoms
  • Remembering hands, face and space 

Read this government guidance for what you can and cannot do during the national lockdown. Click on this link for the full guidance on how to keep yourself and others around you safe. 

If you want information quickly and you can't find what you need then call our team on 020 8968 7049. 

For guidance and support specific to Kensington and Chelsea, click here  

For guidance and support specific to Westminster, click here  


What are local healthcare providers saying? 

*This includes Charing Cross Hospital, Hammersmith Hospital, St Mary’s Hospital, Queen Charlotte’s & Chelsea Hospital and Western Eye Hospital 

Chelsea & Westminster Hospital Foundation Trust 

 West London Health Trusts: 

  • Coronavirus latest information: 2nd February 2021 Ealing Covid-19 Mass vaccination centre has opened up. Staff from West London NHS Trust will be vaccinating local people in priority groups, along with health and care staff. This is the tenth mass vaccination centre to open in London. 
  • General News 

 Central & North West London Foundation Trust (CNWL): 

 Royal Brompton & Harefield Foundation Trust:  

 The Royal Marsden Foundation Trust 

 North West London Collaboration of CCGs (NWLCCGs) 

 NWLCCGshave announced a single point of contact for ALL safeguarding issues. Call:020 3350 4033 (Monday - Sunday 8am-8pm) or 

 North West London Health & Care Partnershiphave releasedthis informationwith guidance about changes for patients  


Information in other languages 

  • BSL Health Access have produced free, on demand video access to BSL Interpreters for communication with deaf people in healthcare settings, click here to view how to use the service. 
  • HEAR have published a British Sign Language (BSL) video explaining social distancing and self-isolation.
  • SignHealth are charity which helps Deaf BSL users improve their health and wellbeing. Crisis Text service: If you are deaf and experiencing a crisis, text DEAF to 85258 for free, immediate support (available 24/7). SignHealth have produced a series of BSL videos:
  • For Coronavirus updates, click here.
  • For Social care services, click here
  • For advice and support regarding Domestic Abuse, click here.  
  • For information regarding mental health condition or getting support, click here
  • Easy to read support pack with infographics, click here.
  • Doctors of the World have produced COVID-19 advice in 20 languages, click here to find more information.  

 NW London Health & Care Partnership have released guidance on changes to the NHS in: 

 BME Health forum Imperial College medical students and West London CCG have co-produced videos about using the NHS during the pandemic in: